October 27, 2010
I just received the following information in an email. I haven’t researched it, but assume that it is accurate and thought it might be of interest.
Veteran’s Day Freebies
- Applebee’s Restaurant – Free dinners to veterans throughout Veterans Day November 11th; selections will be from a new Veterans Day menu.
- Outback Steakhouse – Free Blooming Onion and beverage.
- Golden Corral – Free buffet dinner from 5-9 PM, on Nov. 15, to anyone who has ever served in the U. S. military.
- In celebration of Veterans Day 11 Nov 2010, Subway is showing its thanks with free six inch subs to all Veterans or Active Duty members.
- On Nov. 7, McCormick & Schmick’s restaurants will offer a free entree to military veterans for its 12th annual Veteran’s Appreciation Event. Menu picks include such seafood items as parmesan crusted tilapia, roasted cedar plank salmon and almond crusted rainbow trout. “Our Veterans Appreciation Event has become a tradition that our restaurants look forward to each year,” said Bill Freeman, CEO of McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurants, in a statement. For more information: www. mccormickandschmicks.com
- Krispy Kreme – One free doughnut of any variety.
- UNO Chicago Grill- Free entree or individual pizza with an entree or pizza purchase of equal or greater value.
- Coushatta Casino Resort – The Louisiana casino and resort is offering a free seven-clans lunch or dinner buffet to veterans or active military.
- MarketPlace Grill & Express – Veterans and active-duty military receive free entrees.
- Masala Wok – The Northern Virginian restaurant is offering a free entree to veterans.
- Hy-Vee supermarkets – The Midwestern supermarket chain is offering a free breakfast to veterans.
- Abuelo’s Mexican Food Restaurants – All veterans and active-duty military receive a free entree.
- Carolina Burgers & BBQ – In Matthews, NC is offering a free meal to all service members and veterans.
- Brides Across America – Provides free wedding gowns to qualified military brides.
- Lowe’s & Home Depot – Extra 10% off to active-duty military members, National Guard and reserve members, retirees, honorably discharged veterans and immediate family members. Note: A military or veteran’s photo ID is required; this requirement is typically relaxed on Veteran’s Day and Memorial Day when non-photo types of proof of military service are accepted (e.g. DD-214).
- Sam’s Club – Over 25,000 Hugo canes will be given away to U. S. veterans in need of mobility assistance. Membership is not required, but supplies are limited, so check with your local store.
- Amazon.com – Free “Veterans Day Honor” MP3 album download. The album includes 12 songs by The Bands and Ensembles of the U. S. Armed Forces.
- Cabela’s Outdoor Store – Offers their employee discount to all veterans, active-duty military and reserves, law enforcement, fire and EMS personnel Nov. 11-12. Discounts vary from 5% to 50%, depending on the item.
- Build-a-Bear Workshop – Members of the armed services including the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, and Reserve Officer Training Corps, will receive a 20% discount Nov. 11-15 on any one transaction at Build-A-Bear Workshop.
- Dollar General – 10% discount for all veterans, active-duty military, National Guard and reserve and their immediate families.
- Fashion Bug – 20% off all plus-size and misses clothing purchases with a copy of military ID or spouse’s military ID.
- National parks, forests and monuments – Admission is free to everyone on Veterans Day.
- Knott’s Berry Farm – Free park admission to U. S. armed forces personnel and a guest during Veteran’s Month, November 1-26.
- Colonial Williamsburg – Free admission Nov. 6-11 for active-duty military, guard and reservists, retirees, veterans and their dependents.
- San Jacinto Museum of History – Free visits to the Observation Deck, theatre, and special exhibit for veterans, active duty military personnel, and their families.
- Historic Jamestown – Free admission to veterans, current Armed Forces members and their family members.
- Battleship Cove – Free admission and a special ceremony for veterans, active, duty and reservists.
- Vicksburg National Military Park – Free admission for all.
- Birmingham Museum of Art – Free admission to the ticketed event “Life and Liberty” on Nov. 10-11 for veterans and active military.
- Vulcan Park and Museum- In Birmingham, Alabama is offering discounted admission through November to the park and museum.
- Greenbay (WI) New Zoo – Free admission to veterans and their families.
- Central Florida Zoo – Free admission to the Sanford, Florida zoo with proper ID.
- Strategic Air & Space Museum- Free admission for veterans Nov. 11-14 to the Ashland, Nebraska museum.
- National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum – in Oklahoma City, offers free admission to veterans and five guests from 9 AM to 5 PM on Veterans Day.
- Natural Elements Spa & Salon – In Chesapeake, Virginia, will provide free services from 10 AM to 3 PM to both active duty and retired military
All these businesses offer military discounts; all you have to do is ask.
- Back Yard Burgers
- Burger King
- Captain D’s
- Cotton Patch
- Dunkin’ Donuts
- Farmers Boy
- IHOP (20 percent discount with military identification)
- Java Café
- Long John Silver
- Pancho’s Mexican Buffet
- Pizza Hut
- Taco Bell
- California Cryobank
- Jiffy Lube
- Sears Portrait Studio
Travel and Leisure
- Movie theaters
- Ripley’s attractions and museums
- Professional Sports teams
- Apple Computers
- Bass Pro Shop
- Bath and Body Works
- Big 10 Tires
- The Buckle
- Champs Sports
- Copeland’s Sports
- The Discovery Channel Store
- Dress Barn
- The Finish Line
- Foot Action
- Great Party
- Happy Harry’s
- Home Depot
- Hot Topic
- NAPA Auto Parts
- New York & Company
- Pac Sun
- Payless Shoes
- Play It Again Sports
- Pure Beauty
- Sally Beauty Supply
- Spencer’s Gifts
- Timberland Outlets
- Wilson’s Leather
Cell Phone Service Discount
- All Federal employees are able to get a 15% discount on their personal cell phones by calling their carrier and mentioning the “Federal Telecommunications Act of 1996 – Discount to Federal Employees Past and Present.” You will need to know the military member’s supervisor’s name, phone number, and full address, so that his/her military status can be verified. Use the following contact numbers:
- Cingular – 800-319-6393
- Sprint – 877-812-1223
- T-Mobile – 866-646-4688
- Nextel – 800-639-6111
- Verizon – 800-865-1825
Thanks for serving! Please pass this information along to other veterans.